Monday, April 27, 2009

Summer in a cubicle.


There may be just one downfall to a life spent surrounded by the gray mazes of the cubicle populous. I think about how wonderful it is to have such a cozy cubby of my own, tucked away amongst a community of like cubicle dwellers. I often try to imagine the misery of working in a stuffy office with a door, but my daydreaming always turns into a nightmare. Yes, I love my little niche.

However, one day as I was feeling sorry for all those men and woman stuck in their closed off spaces, I noticed a beam of natural light peeking out from under a closed office door (of course I was standing up to stretch, because I am hidden behind a cubicle divider). The natural light sucked me in. Before I knew it, I had been staring at its glittering luminosity, dancing shadows under the crack of the door for what seemed like minuets. I thought to myself, "My it would be nice to feel the presence of the only thing better than the glow of my fluorescent lights - the sun!"

At that moment, I raced to weather.com and realized that it was in fact, summer! I hadn't realized that amidst my temperature regulated cube, which conveniently keeps me from overheating at a steady temperature of 62 degrees Celsius, I was unaware of the warmth outside these walls. Sure, when I leave work and walk outside the office I have to take off my coat and scarf (literally), but I thought it was some strange heat wave. In fact, it had been summer the whole month and I hadn't even noticed.

Now, I sometimes think about the warmth and what it might feel like to work outside, maybe delivering packages, or trimming the lawn. But then I remember my cube, and how consistent it is. I don't have to worry about the breeze fluttering around my PO's and Invoices.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in high school a study was released that indicated colder temps aided learning, so they tried to freeze us out that year. Maybe the constant 62 degrees can take some credit for your incredible mental clarity and decision making skills? See, consistency IS key.

    Hey, maybe you could make an outfit out of cubicle flannel (cubicle camo) and blend in, becoming one with your new habitat. Could be fun... - Jim T.

    ReplyDelete