Thursday, April 16, 2009

Raw, untapped human emotion.


Emotion in the cubicle.
Do you ever wonder what happens when, in the estimated 13,517,000 people who work in a cubicle in America, someone experiences some kind of extreme emotion such as rage, utter-sadness, extreme joy, or depressing self-pity? I only pose this question because just moments ago I experienced some emotion of my own, which was stimulated by a heart-warming YouTube video about a unlikely woman who was able to shine through adversity. In my moment of joyful tears, I experienced a duel emotion, coicididng with my joy. The emotoin was embarrassment. I though to myself; what would I have done if my boss would have walked by my desk and seen me with tears running down my cheeks at 8:00 O'clock in the morning? Explain that one, Lauren.

Now, think about the other thirteen million cubicle workers out there. Everyone experiences some extreme emotion at one point in their life as a cubicle dweller. A cube is a vulnurable place, with three five-foot high walls, and no place to be alone or fall away from the subjectivity of the cube. Why do you suppose the bathroom was rated the best place to dissapear to in the office? Four walls and a door are hard to combat.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not supporting the office door. I love the fresh air I get in my cube, but what if happens if you get an e-mail that your great aunt Mabel just passed away and you are immediatly consumed with grief. You have to get up and walk past any number of cubicles while tears stream down you cheeks and for the next week and a half you are the gossip of the whole work place. And what if you just discover that your spouse is cheating on you? Complete rage, right? How are you supposed to cope while your mind is consumed with unquestionable, raw, human emotion?

Until the brainiacs at MIT commercialize the personal human teleporting device so we can literally dissapear when we encounter an uncontrollable emotion, we must find a way to cope.

I propose cubicle workers be allowed a certain number of breaks throughout the year that go unquestioned. Say that your best friend dies from suicide and you don't want to publicize this embarrassing tradgety, all you have to do is leave, deem it your "i-get-to-leave-without-a-single-question-asked-once-a-year pass. You can just leave.

I don't know if I would have waisted my pass on my little moment this morning, but maybe you would have: Watch this little clip that had me sobbing like a child in my cube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Live, love, laugh, cry, beat up your neighbor!

Heres to you Susan Boyle...

No comments:

Post a Comment