Wednesday, April 15, 2009


Do you ever ask yourself, how much real work do you get done in an eight hour work day? Really. What do you think most people would say? Five, three, maybe even two full, genuine hours in a day?
If you break it all down, and really start to analyze what people are doing, your results might be disturbing news to most people.

I got home from my cube yesterday - and yes, I do have a life outside my cube - and thought "what an exhausting day. I worked nine hours!" Someone asked me what I did, and I honestly couldn't think of one thing that I had accomplished, aside from consuming two cups of joe.

I wanted to break down (not necessarily applicable to me) of what I think happens in a full work day.

A day in the life of a cube:

8:00am - turn on computers, plug in power cords, pull up e-mail and other programs used daily
8:20am - rearrange desk to make sure all supplies are accounted for, cleaned, and organized.
8:35am - get coffee
8:37am - Blog *smiles*
[say hello to co-workers as needed]
9:32am - Download new pod casts, check the weather, skim through local news
[answering phones as necessary]
10:09am - go through e-mails, respond, follow-through with appropriate tasks
10:57am - say hello to UPS guy, sign for packages,
11:03am - Real work begins
11:56am - End real work, decide where to go for lunch
12:05pm - Go to lunch
12:37pm - come back from lunch, use restroom
12:42pm - Stretch
1:03pm - Begin Real work
1:25pm - end real work, watch screen saver
1:47pm - bathroom
1:52pm - use label maker to make labels for files and my name combined with the last name of hunky movie stars. i.e. "Lauren Clooney", "Lauren Pitt", "Lauren Obama" etc.
2:35pm - wave at boss and work some more and work again
3:10pm - End work, rearrange cubicle
3:35pm - Surf the web for funny cat jokes
4:05pm - Work again
4:45pm - End work, and start cleaning up, unplugging stuff, closing out of windows, turning off stuff
4:55pm - sit in cube until its time to leave
5:00pm - Leave cube

Now, I obviously exaggerate a bit to make a point, but its interesting to seriously consider how much real work is done during the work day. In my example, only two and a half hours of real work done.

I, of course, am an exception to this work day anomoly, seeing as I work at least seven hours each day.

If you are outraged at this discovery, please write.

No comments:

Post a Comment