Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Get that six-pack you've always dreamed of!




I'm back in my favorite little cubby. And, if I stand up and look over top of a row of cubicles, squint real hard through the doorway of my bosses office and out his window, I can see the that it is simply a beautiful day outside. Yes, everything is going my way.

Yesterday I found myself getting a little stiff after a few consecutive hours of sitting in my cozy desk chair in my cubicle. The more I thought about the mild discomfort I was experiencing, the more I wanted to get up and run around the office. Unfourtunatly, my darling little cubicle is about six inches shorter than I am, so if I chose to stand and strecth, my head pops up over the top and everyone can see me(and believe me they will look -anything out of the ordinary around here gets imedate attention from the attention straved cubicle faithfuls at the office).

At this point im craving for a few chin-ups maybe a pinwheel or two. Here is my question for you today: What are we cubicle goers supposed to do when we get leg cramps or need a little circulation, even a mini massage?

Here are some simple solutions that I have both applied and am willing to recomend for those of you who are weary of running in and out of the cubicle maze for a little movement:

1. Do like I do, every thirty minuets or so, (make sure no one is walking by) THE SQUAT! This one is very simple. Because I'm faced with the dificulty of height, I have to take extra caution not to stand up to high. Swing your chair around so you have easy access to some cubicle space, then get in the squat position and clentch those gluets. And, Perfecto - buns of steel!

2. I am particurally proud of this one... the cubicle push up. However this is one of the hardest to accomplish. Wait until one of your cubicle neighors goes to the bathroom and get into the pushup position in your cubicle. Don't worry if you're too tall, like me, to fit everything in the cubicle at once. Allow your feet and the majority of your body to remain in the cube, while your head is acts like the perfect lookout for possible passers. Do ten or so every hour.

3. And finally, my proudest excersize: This requires a little space and strength and is best exicuted when your recepticle is full. Take your trashcan and scoot your office chair back against the wall. Remain seated, but use the full trashcan as a weight. Lift over your head and to your left and right. Be sure to keep the trash recepticle within the confines of the cube and no one will know you've just completed your full body, cubile workout!


If this is too intimidating for you, here are some alternative products that help you stay toned and, combined with the exposure you get from the flourescent lights, bronzed!

The Gadget: The GZ PC-Sport Power Stepper from Gamercize claims to give desktop and laptop users a workout by hijacking their keyboard or mouse when they slack off on their workouts.
The Price: $199 for the GZ PC-Sport + Power Stepper / around $140 for the GZ PC-Sport alone.






Why buy an expensive home gym when you can get a cheaper, gimmicky full-body workout from the comfort of your desk at work? Grab a Springflex UB that attaches easily to your desktop and target your upper body with over 120 exercises, and then hit the lower body with the Gamercize Power Stepper for your PC.

At only $89.95 for the Springflex and around £99.90 or $200 for the Power Stepper, this combo is certainly a cheaper alternative to most home gym systems —but if you want to actually get in shape, it may be worth the extra cash and get something that isn't completely ridiculous.




As you begin to test out my workout plan, send me feedback. I'd love to hear your stories.

Keep on-a-movin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment