Tuesday, June 9, 2009

From cubicle to shining cubicle!


I've made myself comfortable in a new cube. I had to pack up my picture frames, my ethnic tissue box, scenic calender, and my tac-board and relocate to a new company with a new cube and a new chair. Its a 21 century cube, smaller, retro with modern colors, and complete with a Herman Miller air-on desk chair.

It was a fascinating experience, moving to my new home. I had to adjust to the modern theme, the new smell, and the new atmosphere with new people. I have a window, rather I HAD a window. I was relocated thrice and ended up in the windowless cube in the corner. But, the caramel colored walls will substitute for now.

The main difference is the noise. There are lots of cubes, and lots of people. And, I must try to convey my thoughts to you through the chatter of salesmen answering phones, mothers talking about their daughters boyfriends, and the managers trying to make sure their people aren't saying anything to customers that might hurt the business.

I sit here both in bliss and sadness. I am gleeful of the change and interested to see what life will be like in my 21st century cube, and I am saddened to leave the old cube behind and the memories and countless blogs that took place there.

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to leave beloved cubes in the past...but look at the bright side. You've just begun your foray into the workaday world. The future will hold countless more cubes for you, all different shapes, colors and sizes.

    Uhhh, well maybe not shapes, all cubes are "cubish". And they do all tend to be a bland neutral color and the sizes are pretty standard, too. But there's comfort in the consistency, isn't there? And what better incentive to perform? With enough hustle you'll be in your own corner office overlooking a major city skyline, with a door and everything.

    And I can say "I knew her when she started out in that very first cube".

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, you have massive adds, did you monetize haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, you are freaking hilarious! I forgot how much I have missed you over the past three years. It seems you are doing well -- I am really impressed by your blog and am (as always) in awe of your creativity.

    Just wanted to give you a holla! love, Emily T

    ReplyDelete